Monday, February 21, 2011

Subversion "label" like SourceSafe

Is there a way to do something similar to a SourceSafe label in svn? I know of the bransch/tag, but I would like to have a more lightweight way of just setting a name for a specific revision.

From stackoverflow
  • You should be using tags for this.

  • That's exactly what tags are for. See Tags on svn-book.

  • A Tag is very lightweight, although it is made from the "copy" command.

    In subversion, copies are very simple, fast, and effective. You should not have any concerns over performance or storage space.

  • Tags in Subversion are the correct way to do this. They might not "look" lightweight because they are tree copies, but because Subversion copies very lazily, it will not take up any disk space beyond that which is used to record the transaction "copied /trunk/ to /tags/whatever". The Subversion book has more information about tags.

  • But I won't to see the tag record from trunk's log, just like the lable in source safe. Could you help me?

  • I think if you create a tag from the revision number of your trunk, then you can start see the logs of the trunk.

  • How about changing the label position in the revision log?

    Example: I created a tag named "production version" which marks file1.txt at revision 8 and few days later I want the same tag tell me that file1.txt is marked at revision 16

    In VSS one is able to "move the label" in the revision log in this scenario. In SVN I would not like to create "production version1", "production version2" ...

0 comments:

Post a Comment